ARTICLE I - NAME
GAVIA (Gaviidae), the Loon, is a large water bird which is specialized for
swimming and noted for being an expert diver.
The GAVIA SCUBA CLUB, formed in 1991, has been organized as a non-profit Club
to promote and pursue the common interest in SCUBA diving among its members and
the community. Affiliation with other regional, national and international
diving clubs is encouraged.
ARTICLE II - OBJECTIVE
The objective of this non-profit club is: to bring together persons
interested in the sports of skin and SCUBA Diving; to promote the safe and
proper use of equipment and techniques used in these sports; to provide a public
service to the local, state, national and international communities: to provide
members with an opportunity to participate, as a group, in the sports of skin
and SCUBA diving; and promote awareness of the marine environment.
We intend to promote diving through the dive shops in the local community in
a non-partial manner. In accordance with that objective, GAVIA SCUBA CLUB will
not provide any diving certifications and will not engage in the retail sale or
rental of SCUBA equipment.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Membership in this Club will be voluntary and unrestricted with respect to
sex, race, religion, color, or national origin.
- Classes of Membership:
- A Diving Member is a person who holds a recognized SCUBA
certification and is approved for membership by the Executive
- Privileges of Diving Member include:
- General Membership voting, regardless of the age of the member
- Holding any office
- Use of club equipment - if holding the proper current
- Participation in all Club activities at member cost
- Diving Members may select either a single or household membership. A
- Consists of one or more adults and their children less than 18
years of age, residing at the same address. Children up to age 23
may be included if attending school full-time.
- Entitles only two (2) votes regardless of the number of
individuals comprising the membership.
- Entitles one newsletter for the household.
- A Non-Diving Member must be approved for membership by the Executive
Committee and has the same privileges as a diving member except for
use of SCUBA equipment unless under the direct supervision of a
- A Non-Diving Member must be at least 18 years of age to vote
- Non-Diving Members may select either a single or household
membership. A household membership:
- Consists of one or more adults and their children less than 18 years
of age, residing at the same address. Children up to age 23 may be
included if attending school full-time.
- Entitles only two (2) votes regardless of the number of individuals
in the household who are eligible to vote.
- Entitles one newsletter for the household.
- Applications for Membership shall be in writing and in the form and
detail prescribed by the Executive Committee. They shall be accompanied by
the prescribed fees and dues, and be submitted to the Secretary.
- All applications for membership shall be accompanied by the current club
Liability Release in the form and detail prescribed by the Executive
Committee. The Certificate of Liability Release for applicants under the
age of 18 shall be endorsed by both the applicant and his/her parent or
- Membership Renewals:
- Members may maintain uninterrupted membership by submitting required
annual dues to the Secretary. A membership form as prescribed by the
Executive Committee shall accompany payment. The basic purpose of the
membership form is to update address and other information.
- Incomplete forms may not be accepted for membership.
- Resignations shall be submitted, in writing, to the Secretary, who will
forward them to the Executive Committee at the first meeting following
receipt. Resignations shall become effective on the date requested or the
date of approval by the Executive Committee whichever is later. No refund
of membership dues will be made.
- A member of the Club may be suspended or expelled for cause. Charges
shall be brought before the Executive Committee for investigation. It
shall require a majority vote of the Executive Committee members to expel
or suspend a member.
- Any member charged shall be notified so that they may present argument
before the Executive Committee prior to that Committees decision.
- Expulsion shall constitute forfeiture of all fees, dues, and privileges.
Suspension shall constitute forfeiture of all membership privileges for a
specified period of time.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS
A. Elected Officers:
- The following officers shall be elected by the Membership to a yearly
term beginning January 1 and continuing through December 31, and they
shall constitute the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee is
charged with the general supervision and responsibility of all club
- Two trustees will also be elected by the Membership. Their term of
office shall be two years beginning and ending in January with one Trustee
elected each year. In addition to the two elected Trustees the out-going
President shall become a Trustee for a period of one year. If the
President is re-elected to a subsequent term and the previously out-going
President does not want to serve a subsequent term as Trustee, a special
election shall be held to elect a Trustee for a term of one year.
- Executive Committee members may hold only one elected office.
- All members of the Executive Committee shall have voting privileges. At
the end of an Executive Committee members term of office, he/she will
receive a one-year individual membership if they attended at least 70% of
the monthly club meetings and at least 70% of the Executive Committee
meetings during their term of office.
- Vacancies in the Executive Committee shall be filled by a special
- The following positions may be appointed by the President with the
approval of the Executive Committee:
- Dive Officer
- Public Relations Officer
- Newsletter Editor
- Newsletter Publisher
- Electronic Communications Officer
- The Dive Officer may appoint diving members to serve as Dive Marshals to
assist, or serve in the absence of the Dive Officer
- All elected or appointed officers must be either a Diving or Non-Diving
member in good standing and no less than 18 years of age.
- The President and Dive Officer must hold a Diving Membership.
- Preside at meetings of the club and the Executive Committee.
- Be a member ex-officio of all regular and special committees, except
the nominating committee.
- Appoint committee chairpersons with the majority approval of the
- Sign checks for authorized expenditures as needed.
- Perform other duties as pertaining to his/her office.
- Perform the duties of the President in his/her absence or at his/her
- Succeed the Office of President in the event of vacancy.
- Act as assistant to the President.
- Act as program chairman in obtaining speakers, films, etc., for
- Act as liaison with local area dive shops in absence of a Public
- Conduct the official correspondence of the Club, maintain all
membership records, and have custody of all Club records (except
- Accept all applications for membership/renewal of membership and
route such applications and accompanying monies as appropriate.
- New membership applications and dues and fees will be delivered
to the Executive Committee.
- New memberships, when approved, and renewal applications will be
recorded and a written account forwarded with the monies to the
- Provide the Newsletter Publisher with the membership mailing list
and count for the printing of the newsletter.
- Provide the Electronic Communications Officer with updated e-mail
- Maintain a true record of all Club and Executive Committee meetings.
The Secretary shall be responsible for notifying the Membership of
special meetings including time, place and objective.
- Maintain club affiliations and re-charter as directed by the
- Provide the Executive Committee with a copy of all regular and
Executive Committee meeting minutes.
- The Treasurer shall be charged with the receipt, accounting, and
banking of all Club funds. Funds will be deposited, undiminished, in
the name of the Club within fifteen days after receipt.
- Maintain deposits of Club funds in a bank accredited institution as
approved by the Executive Committee.
- Expend funds for payment of Club accounts, as required.
- Render a financial status report each regular meeting and at such
times as directed by the President.
- Disburse all funds for authorized expenditures on pre-numbered bank
checks, none being drawn payable to cash or bearer.
- Secure an annual audit as described in Article XI.
- Upon leaving office, the Treasurer shall prepare a financial
statement and certification to include:
- Statement of assets and liabilities.
- Statement of receipts and disbursements.
- Statement of bank balance as of date of transfer and
reconciliation with the balance indicating unrecorded deposits and
- The following signed statement: "I certify that to the best
of my knowledge and belief this statement is a complete and
accurate account of the GAVIA SCUBA Club Fund, revealing all
outstanding liabilities and that receivables and property owned by
the Club are on-hand or properly accounted for."
- Serve as voting members of the Executive Committee with the purpose
of providing continuity in meeting the basic goals of the Club.
- Power and Duties of Appointed Officer shall be:
- Public Relations Officer:
- Responsible for the dissemination of all newsworthy items concerning
Club activities and membership.
- Responsible for liaison with publishers and editors of other
publications, Public Relations Staffs, and other organizations.
- Act as liaison to the area dive shops.
- Newsletter Editor:
- Responsible for the compiling of a periodic newsletter containing
articles on Club activities, skin and SCUBA diving, new diving
techniques, publicity, and other items of interest.
- Accept articles, proofread and ensure that all newsletter articles
and advertising conform to the guidelines established by the Executive
- Newsletter Publisher:
- Responsible for the publication and distribution of the periodic
newsletter as received from the Newsletter Editor.
- Transfer extra newsletters to the Secretary on or before the next
scheduled General Membership meeting.
- Ensure compliance with Article X.
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Executive Committee and other
Committees, as requested.
- Electronic Communications Officer:
- Maintain any club web page in accordance with established publishing
- Maintain all electronic mailing lists.
- Act as liaison with Internet Hosting Provider.
- Serve as Web Master of any club web page.
- Forward any general e-mails to the correct officer.
- Dive Officer:
- The Dive Officer is a member ex-officio of any committee involved in
planning Club diving activities. The Dive Officer is responsible to
assure that planning and conduct of all diving expeditions are in
accordance with generally accepted dive safety guidelines.
- The Dive Officer is responsible for maintaining Club property
records, inventory, and accounting of all Club equipment; storage and
safeguard of Club equipment; and issue of Club equipment records
- Upon leaving office, the Dive Officer shall prepare a current
inventory of all club property. The inventory list and all equipment
will be given to the Treasurer.
ARTICLE V - COMMITTEES
- Nominating Committee:
- The Nominating Committee shall consist of a Chairperson and members
appointed by the president with the approval of the Executive Committee.
The Committee selects at least one qualified candidate for each office,
then reads and posts the slate at the next meeting. Consent of each
nominee must be obtained before his/her name is announced on the ballot.
- The appointment of the Nominating Committee will be made no later than
the July general membership meeting.
- Special Committees:
- The President may appoint Special Committees as deemed necessary. Such
committees will serve only until their task has been completed.
ARTICLE VI - DUES AND FEES
- Changes to the currently established schedule of dues and fees of no
more than 35% shall require a majority vote of the Executive Committee.
- Any increases in excess of 35% shall require a majority vote of a quorum
of the club membership.
- Club members must be notified in writing or through the Club Newsletter
of any proposed changes of Club dues or fees in excess of 25% at least one
month prior to the voting date on said changes.
- Non-Payment of Dues:
- If a member is in arrears in payment of dues for a period of forty days,
the Secretary shall report this fact to the Executive Committee. If such
dues are not paid within a period of fifteen days hence, the delinquent
member shall be dropped from Membership by Executive Committee action.
- Other Indebtedness:
- If a member is in arrears of indebtedness other than dues for a period
of twenty days, the Treasurer will report this fact to the Executive
Committee. If such indebtedness is not paid within a period of fifteen
days hence, the member shall be dropped from the Membership and the
Executive Committee shall take appropriate action to recover the debt.
ARTICLE VII - DIVING ACTIVITIES
- The Club will recognize or sponsor only those diving activities organized
and/or authorized by the Executive Committee for the purposes set forth in
the Club Constitution.
- Members of the Club are encouraged to increase their qualifications
through additional training courses such as those offered by Professional
Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), National Association of Underwater
Instructors (NAUI), the Young Mens Christian Association (YMCA), Scuba
School International (SSI) and other nationally recognized training
- Club members are encouraged to support the local dive shops.
- Members shall follow generally accepted dive safety guidelines.
- Damage to club equipment is the responsibility of the member who borrowed
the equipment. The member shall pay the cost of repair or replacement of any
equipment damaged while in their custody.
ARTICLE VIII - MEETINGS
- General Meetings:
- Meetings to accomplish the transaction of routine Club matters shall be
- The members present at a regularly scheduled monthly meeting shall
constitute a quorum.
- Executive Committee Meetings:
- Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be held at least once a month
at a time and place as the President may direct.
- Four Executive Committee members shall constitute a quorum.
- Special Meetings:
- Special meetings of the Club may be called by the President or the
majority of the Executive Committee as deemed necessary. Notice of such
meeting shall be given at a preceding General Meeting, by a Newsletter
entry, telephone contact, e-mail message or other communication method.
ARTICLE IX - ELECTIONS
- The names of the candidates for the elected offices shall be taken from a
slate submitted by the Nominating Committee at the October meeting.
Nominations from the floor should be made at this meeting. Floor nominations
will not be accepted unless the candidate is present and verbally accepts or
has given previous written acceptance. An exception to the above will be
made if the nominee makes verbal or written acceptance at the October
Executive Committee meeting.
- Annual elections shall be held at the November general membership meeting.
- Voting shall be by secret ballot. Absentee ballots will be accepted and
must be received by the Club Secretary prior to the November general
membership meeting. All Diving members in good standing as well as
Non-Diving members at least 18 years of age at the time of the election and
in good standing, may vote in the election of officers.
- A majority of those members voting (including absentee ballots) is
required to elect a candidate.
- In the event that a position remains unfilled after the election, an
interim officer may be appointed by the current President.
ARTICLE X - PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
The rules contained in Roberts Rules or Order, Revised Edition, shall
govern in all cases to which they are applicable and to the extent that they are
consistent with this Constitution. A call for suspension of rules must include
the definition of purpose and requires a two-thirds vote of the members present.
ARTICLE XI - FUNDS AND ACCOUNTS
- Funds received from all sources shall constitute the GAVIA SCUBA Club
- All funds constituting the General Fund shall be deposited to an account
at a bank as directed by the Executive Committee.
- Expenditures from the General Fund in excess of $200.00 shall require
prior approval by a majority of the Executive Committee.
- Checks drawn on Club accounts will require signature of any one of the
following officers: President, Vice-President or Treasurer.
- The Club will not make any purchase in excess of the financial resources
of the Club Funds without the specific approval of two-thirds of the
membership entitled to vote.
- The Treasurer shall secure, during the month of December each year, an
impartial audit of the Treasurers records from a person considered
qualified by the Executive Committee, preferably the incoming treasurer.
Audits may also be required upon the request of the membership as indicated
by a two-thirds majority vote at a General or Special Meeting.
ARTICLE XII - NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION
This Club is organized and operated exclusively for pleasure, recreation and
other non-profitable purposes, and no part of its earnings shall inure to the
financial benefit of any of its members.
ARTICLE XIII - CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the constitution shall require a majority vote of current dues
ARTICLE XIV - DISSOLUTION
In the event that the GAVIA SCUBA Club is dissolved or terminated, all
liabilities will be paid from the Club funds. Remaining assets shall be
liquidated or donated to a non-profit organization(s) capable of promoting the
continued safe and proper use of equipment and techniques used in the sports of
skin and SCUBA diving for recreational purposes. The organization shall be
selected by a vote of the membership present at a final dissolution meeting.
This document reflects the entire revised Constitution of the GAVIA SCUBA
CLUB effective immediately upon ratification on ___________ and replacing the
Constitution placed in effect January 31, 1991.
Home | About
GSC | Membership |
Events | Dive Shops | Links |
Contacts | Contents
|Send mail to
email@example.com with questions or comments about
this web site.
Copyright © 1999
October 11, 2008